Traditional Karate North Central Region Newsletter
1) AAKF annual membership renewal due this month – Final REMINDER
Your individual 2018 AAKF membership must be submitted by February 25. If you renew your current membership before March 1, the cost is only $25 assuming your were an AAKF member last year. After March 1, your AAKF membership renewal is $35. Click here to read about the benefits of being an AAKF member.
See your club’s sensei regarding who to make the check out to. Fill out the registration form, click here for the AAKF individual registration form. Drop off your payment/form to your club’s sensei who will then mail to the AAKF organization.
2) Winter Shiai – January 19, 2019 Results
The 2019 NCR winter shiai last month had a great turnout of students and judges in making this event a success. Thank you to all the students and judges in making this a fun and great learning experience for your next test or just improving your skills.
3) March 2019 NCR seminar – Kata – noon March 16, 2018 – two hours
Kata is a core element of karate training. Whether you are preparing for a kyu test, a tournament, or just trying to improve your skill level, this NCR seminar can help you step to the next level! Click here for more detail.
4) AAKF Spring Seminar – April 26-27 Mpls dojo
- Mark your calendar for the annual AAKF spring seminar. Click here for more details
- Dan examination (all ranks), examiner examination, etc. will be conducted Saturday afternoon by the AAKF technical committee.
- Schedule of events:
Friday, April 26 (Kata)
12PM – 3:30PM Kata – concentration on judging aspects
4:15PM – 8PM How to improve your kata
Saturday, April 27 (Kumite)
8:00 – 10AM Kumite – concentration on judging aspects
10AM – Noon Kumite Timing Hand Techniques
1:00 – 2:30PM Kumite Timing Leg Techniques
2:30-4:00PM How to improve your kumite
4:00-6:00PM Dan Ranking & Technical Qualification Exams
5) Future dan examination dates
The following are tentative dan examination dates/location. Check with your club’s sensei as dates/times may change at the last minute.
- 2019 April 27 Mpls dojo; part of the 2019 AAKF spring seminar; all dan ranks; conducted by AAKF technical committee
- 2019 July LA, Calif.; part of the 2019 AAKF Nationals seminar camp; all dan ranks; conducted by AAKF technical committee
Students testing must read the following documents for specific dan test requirements and eligibility:
- Shodan-Sandan – NCR Testing guidelines handbook – click here for more information
- AAKF Technical Qualification Guide – Rank Promotion – requirements for all dan ranks – click here for more information
2019 NCR Upcoming Calendar of Events
Go to the NCR website News and Events for more details as they become available
- 2019 NCR seminar – kata – noon-2pm March 16, Mpls dojo, $20.00
- 2019 AAKF Spring seminar – April 26-27 – Mpls dojo. Dan examination (all ranks), examiner examination, etc. will be conducted Saturday afternoon by the AAKF technical committee.
- 2019 Regional Eliminations – May 3, 2019
- 2019 St. Paul kids shiai – May 4, 2019
- 2019 AAKF Nationals – July 16-20 – LA, California, includes dan exams. Hilton DoubleTree LA-Rosemead, CA
- 2019 Fall seminar – Sept 21, Mpls dojo
- 2019 Pan-Am tournament – Oct 21-26, 2019, Mexico City
- FYI – 2020 WTKF World Championships – Fall 2020, Australia (tentative)
To subscribe to the NCR newsletter, go to the bottom of the NCR website and click “Subscribe to our newsletter“.
For past Traditional Karate North Central Region newsletters, click here.
Art Wong – Traditional Karate North Central Region Director