Traditional Karate North Central Region Newsletter
1) REMIDNER: March 16, 2019 – NCR kata seminar noon-2pm
Kata is a core element of your karate training. Whether you are preparing for a kyu or dan test, a tournament, or just trying to sharpen your skills, this NCR kata seminar can help you rise to the next level! Click here to register online.
2) AAKF Spring Seminar – April 26-27 Mpls dojo
- Click here to register online.
- Mark your calendar for the annual AAKF spring seminar.
- Dan examination (all ranks), examiner examination, etc. will be conducted Saturday afternoon by the AAKF technical committee.
- Schedule of events:
- Friday, April 26 (Kata)
- 12PM – 3:30PM Kata – concentration on judging aspects
- 4:15PM – 8PM How to improve your kata
- Saturday, April 27 (Kumite)
- 8:00 – 10AM Kumite – concentration on judging aspects
- 10AM – Noon Kumite Timing Hand Techniques
- 1:00 – 2:30PM Kumite Timing Leg Techniques
- 2:30-4:00PM How to improve your kumite
- 4:00-6:00PM Dan Ranking & Technical Qualification Exams
- Friday, April 26 (Kata)
3) Parking restrictions – St. Paul dojo until early April
Do not park on the dojo side of the street (even side of Eichenwald St. is banned) as noted below with the red dash lines —— Park on the odd size of the street. Seventh Street does not have any restrictions.
Click here for the St. Paul parking restriction map.
The Mpls dojo has two large parking lots that shouldn’t impact your ability to park there. If you must park on the Mpls streets, Mpls has a restricted one sided parking. Park only on the odd side of the street as well until early April.
4) Future dan examination dates
The following are tentative dan examination dates/location. Check with your club’s sensei as dates/times may change at the last minute.
- 2019 April 27 Mpls dojo; part of the 2019 AAKF spring seminar; all dan ranks; conducted by AAKF technical committee
- 2019 July LA, Calif.; part of the 2019 AAKF Nationals seminar camp; all dan ranks; conducted by AAKF technical committee
Students testing must read the following documents for specific dan test requirements and eligibility:
- Shodan-Sandan – NCR Testing guidelines handbook – click here for more information
- AAKF Technical Qualification Guide – Rank Promotion – requirements for all dan ranks – click here for more information
- Dan test cost is $100 x dan rank you are testing for, e.g., $100 x 2nd dan (nidan) test = $200
2019 NCR Upcoming Calendar of Events
Go to the NCR website News and Events for more details as they become available
- 2019 NCR seminar – kata – noon-2pm March 16, Mpls dojo, $20.00. Click here to register.
- 2019 AAKF Spring seminar – April 26-27 – Mpls dojo. Dan examination (all ranks), examiner examination, etc. will be conducted Saturday afternoon by the AAKF technical committee. Click here to register.
- 2019 Regional Eliminations – May 3, 2019
- 2019 St. Paul kids shiai – May 4, 2019
- 2019 AAKF Nationals – July 16-20 – LA, California, includes dan exams. Hilton DoubleTree LA-Rosemead, CA
- 2019 Fall seminar – Sept 21, Mpls dojo
- 2019 Pan-Am tournament – Oct 21-26, 2019, Mexico City
- FYI – 2020 WTKF World Championships – Fall 2020, Australia (tentative)
To subscribe to the NCR newsletter, go to the bottom of the NCR website and click “Subscribe to our newsletter“.
For past Traditional Karate North Central Region newsletters, click here.
Art Wong – Traditional Karate North Central Region Director