Traditional Karate North Central Region Newsletter
0) 2019 U of M Spring class – NEW
Congratulations to Sensei Trung Le’s 2019 U of M class in participating and passing their exams. Have a great summer and hope to see you next fall.
1) AAKF Spring Seminar – April 26-27 Mpls dojo – RECAP
The 2019 AAKF spring seminar had a good turnout of karatekas. The classes were taught by the AAKF technical committee members: Senseis Tabassi, Tong, Kegeyama and Cheah. The drills helped reinforce the excellent instructions given by the Senseis.
Congratulations to the following students who passed their dan examination at the AAKF spring seminar:
Shodan – Megan McMann and Trevor Killeen
Nidan – Mark Abeln
Sandan – Peter Stalland
2) NCR Regional eliminations for 2019 AAKF Nationals – Results
The following athletes will be representing the north central region at the 2019 Nationals in LA, Calif.:
- Al Kotula, Tom Hauwiller, Jeffrey Davila, Dennis Olson, Kara Winter, Kaitlyn Aman Ramm, and Clara Winter (youth)
The following are the north central region’s judges that will be at the 2019 Nationals:
- Art Wong, Trung Le, Laurie Elliott, Michael Ching
We still have available open spots in the adult black belt, adult kyu, and youth divisions. If you wish to represent our region, we must know no later than end of day June 14, 2019. Contact Art Wong at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding your interest to make sure you get registered before the deadline June 4. Click here for the 2019 AAKF registration form.
3) 2019 AAKF National Championships – July 16-20, Monterey Park, CA
The 2019 AAKF National Championship is scheduled for July 16-20 in Monterey Park, CA. The Nationals and International camp will be both be held at the George Elder Gym 1950 Wilcox Ave Monterey Park.
4) Future dan examination dates
The following are tentative dan examination dates/location. Check with your club’s sensei as dates/times may change at the last minute.
- 2019 July LA, Calif.; part of the 2019 AAKF Nationals seminar camp; all dan ranks; conducted by AAKF technical committee
Students testing must read the following documents for specific dan test requirements and eligibility:
Shodan-Sandan – NCR Testing guidelines handbook – click here for more information
AAKF Technical Qualification Guide – Rank Promotion – requirements for all dan ranks – click here for more information
For our region, the dan test cost is $100 x dan rank you are testing for, e.g., $100 x 2nd dan (nidan) test = $200.00
Dan rank registration with AAKF and WTKF organizations
Once you passed your dan examination, you must registered your dan rank with both the AAKF and WTKF organizations. Cost is $150.00 ($50-AAKF/$100-WTKF). Make check payable to AAKF.
Mail your check and form to MKA – St. Paul dojo, 7th St. E. St. Paul, MN 55106.
2019 NCR Upcoming Calendar of Events
Go to the NCR website News and Events for more details as they become available
- 2019 AAKF Nationals – July 16-20 – LA, California, includes dan exams. Held at the George Elder gym. Click here for flyer.
- 2019 Fall seminar – Sept 21, Mpls dojo
- 2019 Guest instructor seminar – Nov 2019 Mpls dojo
- 2019 Pan-Am tournament – Oct 21-26, 2019, Mexico City – click here for flyer
- FYI – 2020 WTKF World Championships – Fall 2020, Australia (tentative)
To subscribe to the NCR newsletter, go to the bottom of the NCR archive website and click “Subscribe to our newsletter“.
For past Traditional Karate North Central Region newsletters, click here.
Art Wong – Traditional Karate North Central Region Director