Traditional Karate North Central Region Newsletter
1) Celebration of Life Memorial Service Sept 7, 2019 – Reflection
Thank you to all the speakers and attendees that helped celebrate the life of Sensei Robert Fusaro.
Also, thank you to Gina Wood, Sarah Beggs, Al Kotula, Mark Abeln, Rachael Sommers-Fusaro, Chris Rasmussen, Laurie Elliott, Jon Hodapp, Bill Rossi, Don Dale, Greg Doroff, John Kearney, Darren Marr, Steve Rouch, Cat Shrewsbury, Hannah Stephenson and many other volunteers for helping set up a wonderful memorial service.
- A memorial service video has been produced by Steve Rouch, see link below.
- We also posted photos from the Sensei Fusaro Sept 7, 2019 memorial service.
- Click here for the video on the NCR Facebook site. (9:34)
- Click here for NCR Facebook photos
- Click here for MKA mpls dojo Facebook photos
If you have any memorial photos or videos you wish to share with other fellow karatekas, please contact Art Wong via this NCR newsletter.
The GoFundme site to help the Fusaro family is still available. Click here to donate.
2) A Special Class Was Held at the Mpls Dojo – Sept 5&7, 2019
The Mpls dojo was honored with the presence of Sensei Albert Cheah from CA. Sensei Cheah taught the Thursday night class at the Mpls dojo. Sensei Cheah was in town to attend the celebration of life memorial service and offered to teach a class at the Mpls dojo while he was in town.
- Click here for additional photos from the memorial karate classes
Also, Sensei Marr held a special morning class on Sept 7, 2019.
3) NCR Fall Seminar – Nov 1-2, 2019 with Sensei Taichiro Kaijima – Mpls dojo
Early Registration* by Oct 28, 2019
- Individual: Full seminar-$120; 1 session-$60
- Family Rate Full seminar: 2 family members $170; Families of 3 of more $210
- Family Rate 1 session: 2 family members-$90; Families of 3 or more $130
- College Students (full-time): Full seminar $100; 1 session-$50
Same Day Registration*
- Individual: Full seminar-$140; 1 session-$70
- Family Rate Full seminar: 2 family members $190; Families of 3 or more $230
- Family Rate 1 session: 2 family members-$110, families of 3 or more $150
- College Students (full-time): Full seminar $120; 1 session-$60
*For non-AAKF members, there is an additional fee of $10.00.
4) XIX Pan American Championship Karate-Do – Oct 21-26 – Mexico City
The following NCR judges will be going to the Pan-Am tournament: Al Kotula, Art Wong, Laurie Elliott, Trung Le, and Dennis Olson.
The following links will help you prepare for the 2019 Pan-Am championship:
Click here for the Poster
Click here for the General Information (dates, times, location, hotel, events, tours, etc.)
Click here for registration form and medical form
5) WTKF – 2020 WTKF World Championships
The WTKF 2020 World Championships has been moved to Brazil, Fall 2020.
6) Future dan examination dates
The following are tentative dan examination dates/location. Check with your club’s sensei for eligibility as well as dates/times may change at the last minute.
- 2019 Nov – NCR Nov 1-2 during the NCR fall seminar.
Students testing must read the following documents for specific dan test requirements and eligibility:
Shodan-Nidan– NCR Testing guidelines handbook – click here for more information
AAKF Technical Qualification Guide – Rank Promotion – requirements for all dan ranks – click here for more information
For our region, the dan test cost is $100 times the dan rank you are testing for, e.g., $100 x 2nd dan (nidan) test = $200.00.
7) Dan Rank Registration With AAKF and WTKF Organizations
Once you passed your dan examination, you must registered your dan rank with both the AAKF and WTKF organizations. Cost is $150.00 ($50-AAKF/$100-WTKF). Make check payable to AAKF.
Mail your check and forms to: MKA – St. Paul Dojo, E. 7th St., St. Paul, MN 55106.
2019 NCR Upcoming Calendar of Events
Go to the NCR website News and Events for more details as they become available
- 2019 Guest instructor seminar – Nov 1-2 2019 Mpls dojo – Sensei Taichiro Kaijima. Click here for details.
- 2019 Pan-Amercan championship- Oct 21-26, 2019, Mexico City – click here for the poster and information
- FYI – 2020 WTKF World Championships – Fall 2020, Brazil
For more information and links
For the NCR Facebook site, click here.
To subscribe to the NCR newsletter, go to the bottom of the NCR archive website and click “Subscribe to our newsletter“.
For past Traditional Karate North Central Region newsletters, click here.
Art Wong – Traditional Karate North Central Region Director