Traditional Karate North Central Region Newsletter
2020 Dan Examination Test Results
Traditional Karate North Central Region (NCR) recently held a dan examination at the Midwest Karate Association St. Paul (MKA) dojo and the Shotokan Karate Minnesota (SKM) dojo. The students looked sharp and had put in many long hours of training to reach their goal.
Congratulations to the following students who successfully passed their dan examination:
- Megan Riley – Shodan – MKA St. Paul
- Mike Winter – Shodan – MKA St. Paul/SKM
- Bill Badlo – Nidan – MKA St. Paul
Again, congratulations students! Now continue to focus your training, expand your knowledge, and help other students reach their goals.
AAKF National Fall Virtual Seminar – Final Virtual Seminar
The American Amateur Karate Federation (AAKF) final Fall 2020 virtual Zoom seminar is on Saturday December 5, 2020 at 9:00 am CST. The seminar will consist of four 1-hour sessions. The virtual training sessions are free and are broadcast via Zoom meeting. The seminars are open to all registered AAKF members.
To join the Zoom session, click here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87880651070?pwd=QmEvaG8vTTBuSDRDd3lMNGY1SWJzQT09. (Meeting ID: 878 8065 1070; Passcode: 807969)
Here is the list of schedule times (CST) and instructors for this Saturday’s December 5, 2020 virtual seminar
- 9:00 am to 9:55 am; CST J. Ertl – MKA of St Paul
- 10:00 am to 10:55 am; CST B. Hays
- 11:00 am to 11:55 pm, CST R. Kageyama
- 12:00 noon to 12:55 pm, CST A. Cheah
MN COVID-19 – Dialing Back
On November 18, 2020, Minnesota Governor Walz announced a new set of COVID-19 restrictions for the state of Minnesota (MN). The new restrictions “Dialing Back“ went into effect on November 20, 2020 through December 18, 2020. The impact of MN Executive order 20-99 on the NCR is the closing of all of NCR MN dojos during the four week period. In the event the COVID-19 pandemic continues to trend in the wrong direction in MN after December 18, 2020, Governor Walz may extend the restrictions into 2021.
Your sensei has updated his/her training schedule to reflect the new virtual (Zoom) training sessions during the COVID-19 pandemic period.
- Shotokan Karate MN – https://www.shotokankaratemn.com/
- MKA St. Paul – https://mwkarate.com/
- Northfield – https://ncr-aakf.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/NSKC-description.pdf
- UofM – https://sites.google.com/umn.edu/umntraditionalkaratedo/?fbclid=IwAR21lTwC1z4l5k2r-y5ENS9Nu_g_5bXOV6ttTDmVsjMvxk5SMGsiJEtvpjU
During this short pause, continue training at home. We expect that you will be training at your club’s dojo in the very near future.
AAKF Annual Membership Renewal – March 1 Deadline
Your individual AAKF membership expires March 1. If you renew your current membership before March 1, the renewal cost is only $25. After March 1, a new AAKF membership is $35. Click here to read about AAKF and WTKF membership benefits.
See your club’s sensei for registration instructions: preparing the check and returning the completed form, click here for the AAKF individual registration form. Your club’s sensei will register your renewal on the AAKF portal and will mail in your fee and form to the AAKF organization.
2021 NCR Upcoming Calendar of Events
- NCR upcoming events
- November 6, 2021 11:30am-5:00pm – UofM Fall 2021 Traditional Karate-do Tournament is hosted by Traditional Karate-do Academy at University of MN club. Location: Van Cleve Community Center 901 SE 15th Ave Minneapolis, MN 55414. Click here for the latest flyer. Click here for more detail and online registration.
- Madison Japanese Karate Club’s annual fall tournament October 23, 2021. Click here for more details. Come and compete, judge, or watch and support your fellow karatekas.
- AAKF/WTKF upcoming events
- AAKF 2021 Instructor Program taught by AAKF Technical Committee – October 16 (resceduled) and November 13, 11:00am-1:00pm Central Time
- AAKF 2021 National Championship postponed to 2022. See AAKF Nationals website for more information.
- WTKF 2021 World Championships postponed to 2022
- WTKF calendar – For additional seminars, competitions, and online training events
Dan Examination Testing Dates
The following are tentative dan examination dates/locations. Check with your club’s sensei for eligibility as well as dates/times that may change at the last minute.
- NCR Dan exam – 2021 TBD
- AAKF Nationals – 2022 Dallas, TX
If you are considering a dan rank test in the near future, you should be preparing for your exam as soon as possible and getting feedback from your club’s sensei and sempais. It takes at least 6+ months of constant training both mentally and physically to prepare for a dan exam. For yondan and higher tests, it will take longer to prepare since you must write a thesis, present your paper, and do a kata with bunkai explanation.
Read the following documents for specific dan test requirements and eligibility:
Dan Rank Registration With AAKF and WTKF Organizations
Once you passed your dan examination, you must register your dan rank with both the AAKF and WTKF organizations. Cost is $150.00 ($50-AAKF/$100-WTKF). Make check payable to AAKF.
Mail your check and forms to: Midwest Karate Association St. Paul, 762 E. 7th St., St. Paul, MN 55106.
Traditional Karate North Central Region Subscription
- Subscription: To subscribe to the NCR Newsletter send an email to: email@example.com
- Include your name and email address with a subject line: “Request: NCR newsletter subscription” .
- Past Traditional Karate North Central Region newsletters
Art Wong – Traditional Karate North Central Region Director, Godan