Traditional Karate North Central Region Newsletter
1) NCR Shiai – Noon Saturday January 25, 2020, Mpls dojo
NCR’s first 2020 event will be the NCR Winter shiai. The shiai will be held Saturday noon Jan 25 at the Mpls dojo. Use the shiai event to sharpen your kata and kumite skills for your next dan or kyu test examination, or come to have fun meeting and competing with your fellow karatekas in our region. Open to all ranks and ages including adult black belts.
2) Annual AAKF Membership Renewal – March 1, 2020 Deadline – REMINDER
Your individual AAKF membership expires on March 1, 2020. If you renew your current membership before that date, the cost is only $25. After that, AAKF membership renewal is $35. Benefits about being part of the AAKF and WTKF organizations.
See your club’s sensei regarding who to make the check out to. Fill out the registration form. Drop off your payment/form to your club’s sensei who will then mail to the AAKF organization.
3) 2019 NCR Board of Director meeting December 13, 2019 – Results
The annual Traditional Karate North Central Region (NCR) met on December 13, 2019 at the St. Paul dojo. The meeting reviewed the 2019 results and started planning for our 2020 activities. See your club’s Sensei regarding the meeting details.
4) WTKFederation Social Media Links
The World Traditional Karate-do Federation (WTKFederation) has a new website and Facebook site. Update your browser ‘s favorite bookmark links to reflect the new WTKFederation social media sites. WTKFederation Website: HTTP://www.wtkfederation.org/. WTKFederation Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTKFederationSwitzerland (Like the WTKFederation Facebook site).
5) 2020 WTKF Championship September 27 – October 4, 2020 Brazil – Update
The WTKF World Championship date is now September 27-October 4, 2020, in Joao Pessoa, Paraiba, Brazil. Below is the latest WTKF Facebook poster on the event.
6) Future Dan Examination Dates
The following are tentative dan examination dates/location. Check with your club’s sensei for eligibility as well as dates/times that may change at the last minute.
- AAKF 2020 Spring seminar – Madison, WI. – more details to follow on date/time of the dan exam.
- AAKF Nationals – Dallas, TX. June 23-27, 2020 – more details to follow on date/time of the dan exam.
- NCR Dan exam – Fall 2020 – TBD
If you are consider testing for a dan rank in 2020, you should be preparing for your exam as soon as possible and getting feedback from you club’s sensei and sempais. It takes at least 6+ months of constant training both mentally and physically to prepare for a dan exam. For yondan and above dan tests, it will take longer to prepare since you must write a thesis, present your paper, and do a kata with bunkai explanation.
Students testing must read the following documents for specific dan test requirements and eligibility:
Shodan-Nidan– NCR Testing guidelines handbook.
AAKF Technical Qualification Guide – Rank Promotion – requirements for all dan ranks.
For our region, the dan test cost is $100 times the dan rank you are testing for, e.g., $100 x 2nd dan (nidan) test = $200.00.
7) Dan Rank Registration With AAKF and WTKF Organizations
Once you passed your dan examination, you must register your dan rank with both the AAKF and WTKF organizations. Cost is $150.00 ($50-AAKF/$100-WTKF). Make check payable to AAKF.
Mail your check and forms to: MKA – St. Paul Dojo, E. 7th St., St. Paul, MN 55106.
2020 NCR Upcoming Calendar of Events
- NCR upcoming events
- Winter shiai – Saturday January 25 noon, Mpls dojo. Online registration.
- Kata seminar noon Saturday March 14, Mpls dojo.
- Regional eliminations Friday May 8, St. Paul dojo.
- St. Paul youth tournament, Saturday May 9, St. Paul dojo.
- Kumite seminar noon Saturday Sept 12 , Mpls dojo
- AAKF/WTKF upcoming events
For More Information and Links
- NCR events and newsletter updates
- NCR Facebook site
- Mpls dojo events
- St. Paul dojo events
- AAKF website
- AAKF Facebook
- WTKF website
- WTKF Facebook
Traditional Karate North Central Region Subscription
- Subscribe to the NCR newsletter, go to the bottom of the NCR archive website and click “Subscribe to our newsletter“.
- Past Traditional Karate North Central Region newsletters
Art Wong – Traditional Karate North Central Region Director, Godan