Traditional Karate North Central Region Newsletter
1) New Name But Same Great Karate – Shotokan Karate Minnesota
With a new decade upon us, Midwest Karate Association of Minneapolis is transforming itself with a new name – Shotokan Karate Minnesota. The same great instructors, e.g., Senseis Michael Fusaro, Al Kotula, and Gina Wood for the kids program, will continue to teach. With the support from the Fusaro family, the club will have a strong base to move forward from. As part of the transition, the new club is reviewing their options including a new location in the future. The new club is planning a new website and Facebook site in the near future as well. We will keep you posted as more information become available. For now, they can be reached at 612) 870-1795 , or by email at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) AAKF Spring Seminar – April 24-26 – Madison, WI
The AAKF organization is having their annual 2020 spring seminar in Madison, WI April 24-26. This is your opportunity to learn, develop and train on the latest kata, kumite, and kihon drills and techniques as well as sparring and teaching strategies. Come and meet new karatekas and renew old friendships you haven’t seen for some time. The AAKF will also be conducting a dan examination (all dan levels) as well as examiner, coaching and judging qualifications.
More details on the venue location and hotel accommodations will be posted soon.
3) NCR Kata Seminar – Saturday March 7 – Mpls dojo
A kata seminar is planned for noon Saturday March 7 at the Mpls dojo. Use this event to get feedback on your kata to help improve your kata for your next kyu or dan examination or for future competitions Read more->
4) New Club – Traditional Karate-do Academy At University OF Minnesota
It is with great pleasure to announce a new club Traditional Karate-do Academy University at UMN (TKA-UMN). This is a great addition to the Traditional Karate North Central Region (NCR). Sensei Trung Le, fourth degree black belt (yondan), is heading up the new club at the UofM. He has many decades of experience as a karateka, competitor, judge and instructor.
The new club is conducting a fundraiser by selling a club t-shirt ($20.00/ea.), see below photo, to help build their club’s funds so they can put on future events sponsored by the club. Contact Sensei Le at email@example.com to pre-order a club t-shirt.
For more information about the club contact Sensei Le at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5) Traditional Karate-do Academy At UMN – Tournament – April 4, 2020
Traditional Karate-do Academy at UMN (TKA-UMN) is holding its first tournament on April 4, 2020 noon-4pm at Van Cleave Community center in Mpls, MN ust north of the UofM. The cost is $30 for one event and $35 for two or more events.
The tournament is open to all kyu ranks and black belts. There will be youth and adult divisions competing in individual kata and kumite using AAKF competition rules. Read more on rules.
6) AAKF 2020 National Championships – June 23-27, 2020 – Richardson, TX
The AAKF 2020 National Championships will be held on June 23-27 in Richardson, TX, which is north of Dallas, TX. The events are open to registered AAKF members. For adult black belts you must qualify at the NCR regional eliminations May 8, 2020 or be selected by the NCR officials. For adult kyu and youth level ranks, you only need to register with the NCR officials through your club’s sensei. The AAKF Nationals is a fun and exciting event. Come and test your skills against other fellow karatekas from around the US. If you place at this year’s AAKF Nationals, you may get selected to be on the USA team to go the 2020 world championships in Brazil. There will be a international camp held earlier in the week as well as a dan exam and qualification examination Thursday afternoon. There will be time to do a little sightseeing. Come and meet new friends or see old friends you have seen for quite awhile.
The following is the information you will need to plan for the 2020 AAKF Nationals
- AAKF Flyer
- AAKF ATHLETE-JUDGES REGISTRATION form
- INFORMATION AAKF NATIONALS – Schedule, location, hotel
7) Latest News From WTKF
Polska Unia Karate Tradycyjnego [Polish Traditional Karate Union] was established to support and integrate the traditional karate community in Poland. They have created an organization that builds a new quality and creates new opportunities. Also implement unconventional solutions and interesting ideas that will facilitate clubs’ everyday work. Want to manage wisely, listen to what is needed today, react quickly and do not miss anyone. See the video [3:19] they produced regarding their organization.
8) Future Dan Examination Dates
The following are tentative dan examination dates/location. Check with your club’s sensei for eligibility as well as dates/times that may change at the last minute.
- AAKF 2020 Spring seminar – Madison, WI. – April 24-26
- AAKF Nationals – Richardson (Dallas), TX. June 23-27, 2020.
- NCR Dan exam – Fall 2020 – TBD
If you are consider testing for a dan rank in 2020, you should be preparing for your exam as soon as possible and getting feedback from you club’s sensei and sempais. It takes at least 6+ months of constant training both mentally and physically to prepare for a dan exam. For yondan and above dan tests, it will take longer to prepare since you must write a thesis, present your paper, and do a kata with bunkai explanation.
Students testing must read the following documents for specific dan test requirements and eligibility:
Shodan-Nidan– NCR Testing guidelines handbook.
AAKF Technical Qualification Guide – Rank Promotion – requirements for all dan ranks.
For our region, the dan test cost is $100 times the dan rank you are testing for, e.g., $100 x 2nd dan (nidan) test = $200.00.
8) Dan Rank Registration With AAKF and WTKF Organizations
Once you passed your dan examination, you must register your dan rank with both the AAKF and WTKF organizations. Cost is $150.00 ($50-AAKF/$100-WTKF). Make check payable to AAKF.
Mail your check and forms to: MKA – St. Paul Dojo, E. 7th St., St. Paul, MN 55106.
2020 NCR Upcoming Calendar of Events
- NCR upcoming events
- Kata seminar noon Saturday March 7, Mpls dojo
- UofM Tournament April 4, 2020 noon-4pm Van Cleave Community center in Mpls, Get directions. Flyer – read more.
- Regional eliminations Friday May 8, St. Paul dojo
- St. Paul youth tournament, Saturday May 9, St. Paul dojo
- Kumite seminar noon Saturday Sept 12 , Mpls dojo
- AAKF/WTKF upcoming events
- AAKF 2020 Spring Seminar, Madison, WI April 24-26 – more details to follow
- AAKF 2020 Nationals – Richardson, TX – June 23-27, 2020
- WTKF 2020 World Championships – September 27-October 4, 2020, Joao Pessoa, Paraiba, Brazil – click here for information.
- WTKF – additional events
For More Information and Links
- NCR events and newsletter updates
- NCR Facebook site
- Shotokan Karate MN events (former MKA Mpls dojo)
- St. Paul dojo events
- AAKF website
- AAKF Facebook
- WTKF website
- WTKF Facebook
Traditional Karate North Central Region Subscription
- Subscribe to the NCR newsletter, go to the bottom of the NCR archive website and click “Subscribe to our newsletter“.
- Past Traditional Karate North Central Region newsletters
Art Wong – Traditional Karate North Central Region Director, Godan