Traditional Karate North Central Region Newsletter
Kata Shiai – October 31, 2020 at SKM
The kata shiai will be held Saturday noon-2:00 pm October 31, 2020 at the SKM Mpls dojo. Use the shiai event to sharpen your kata skills for your next dan or kyu test examination, or come to have fun meeting and competing with your fellow karatekas in our region. Open to all ranks and ages including adult black belts. More information. Online registration.
AAKF National Fall Virtual Seminar
The American Amateur Karate Federation (AAKF) is continuing their Fall 2020 virtual Saturday seminar on October 3, 2020 at 9:00 am CST. The seminar will consist of four 1-hour sessions. The virtual training sessions are free and are broadcast via Zoom meeting. The seminars are open to all registered AAKF members.
To join the Zoom session, click here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87880651070?pwd=QmEvaG8vTTBuSDRDd3lMNGY1SWJzQT09. (Meeting ID: 878 8065 1070; Passcode: 807969)
The next AAKF Zoom seminar will be on
- Saturday October 3, 2020 from 9:00 am CST to 1:00 pm CST.
- Saturday November 7, 2020 from 9:00 am CST to 1:00 pm CST.
- Saturday December 5, 2020 from 9:00 am CST to 1:00 pm CST.
A complete list of instructors, dates and their scheduled time slot as well as the Zoom link information can be found here [Updated].
Shodan/Nidan Dan Examination
NCR will be conducting a shodan/nidan dan examination on Saturday December 5, 2020 at 2:00 pm at the SKM dojo. Contact your club’s sensei if you are planning on testing. Your sensei will then contact Art Wong to help with the planning. See Shodan-Nidan dan test requirement – NCR Testing guidelines handbook.
NCR Website Changes
The NCR website homepage now has direct links to all the NCR Facebook photos and videos. You should be able to view all the public viewable Facebook photos and videos without a Facebook account.
Dan Rank Registration With AAKF and WTKF Organizations
Once you passed your dan examination, you must register your dan rank with both the AAKF and WTKF organizations. Cost is $150.00 ($50-AAKF/$100-WTKF). Make check payable to AAKF.
Mail your check and forms to: Midwest Karate Association St. Paul, 762 E. 7th St., St. Paul, MN 55106.
Dan Examination Testing Dates
The following are tentative dan examination dates/locations. Check with your club’s sensei for eligibility as well as dates/times that may change at the last minute.
- AAKF 2021 Spring Zoom seminar – Dan test May 15, 2021 1:00pm CDST. Contact Art Wong (email@example.com) no later than April 30, 2021 to obtain the details on fees, form, dojo location of for the Zoom dan test, and date/time.
- NCR Dan exam – 2021 July 23 Friday 6:00pm St. Paul dojo. See Art Wong to pre-register.
- AAKF Nationals – 2022 Dallas, TX
If you are considering a dan rank test in the near future, you should be preparing for your exam as soon as possible and getting feedback from your club’s sensei and sempais. It takes at least 6+ months of constant training both mentally and physically to prepare for a dan exam. For yondan and higher tests, it will take longer to prepare since you must write a thesis, present your paper, and do a kata with bunkai explanation.
Read the following documents for specific dan test requirements and eligibility:
2021 NCR Upcoming Calendar of Events
- NCR upcoming events
- November 6, 2021 – UofM Fall Shiai hosted by Traditional Karate-do Academy at University of MN club. More details to follow.
- AAKF/WTKF upcoming events
- AAKF 2021 Zoom seminar series – April 17 -J uly 10. Click here for more details regarding the Zoom seminar topics, instructor, and dates/times.
- AAKF 2021 National Championship postponed to 2022. See AAKF Nationals website for more information.
- WTKF 2021 World Championships postponed to 2022
- WTKF calendar – For additional seminars, competitions, and online training events
Traditional Karate North Central Region Subscription
- Subscription: To subscribe to the NCR newsletter send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include your name and email address with a subject line: “Request: NCR newsletter subscription” .
- Past Traditional Karate North Central Region newsletters
Art Wong – Traditional Karate North Central Region Director, Godan