Traditional Karate North Central Region Newsletter
SKM Mini-camp Recap
The Shotokan Karate MN (SKM) recently held a mini-camp at the SKM Minneapolis dojo on Saturday August 29, 2020. The mini-camp kept the attendance to a maximum of 20 students following the COVID-19 social group gatherings protocol. Sensei Kotula did an excellent job in organizing the event and ensuring the safety of the students and instructors.
The purpose of the camp was to give the students new insights into karate fundamentals, use of re-enforcement drills, and experience different instructors from our region. The mini-camp was also used as a development platform for future Senseis as part of NCR’s succession planning to ensure Sensei Fusaro’s vision continues far into the future.
Thank you to Mark Abeln for creating and editing a series of short video links below from the August 29, 2020 SKM mini-camp. The videos are posted on the NCR Facebook site. You do not need a Facebook account to view the video links below.
- Mini-camp highlights [4:21] – here
- Tom Meagher’s session [4:41] – here
- Yukino Nakamura’s session [7:40] – here
- Kara Winter, Michael Ching, Trung Le session [8:55] – here
- Darren Marr session [0:0] – SKM mini-camp Aug 29, 2020 – here
AAKF National Fall Virtual Seminar
The American Amateur Karate Federation (AAKF) will be conducting a series of four Saturday sessions over several months. Each Saturday session will last about 4 hours long. The virtual training sessions are free and are broadcast via Zoom meeting. The seminar will be held on the first Saturday of each month except for September which will be held Saturday September 12 and the last seminar ending December 4, 2020. The Zoom seminars are open to all registered AAKF members.
The first AAKF Zoom seminar will be on Saturday September 12, 2020 from 9:00am CDST to 1:00pm CDST. A complete list of instructors, dates and their scheduled time slot as well as the Zoom link information can be found here.
Dan Examination Testing Dates
The following are tentative dan examination dates/locations. Check with your club’s sensei for eligibility as well as dates/times that may change at the last minute.
- NCR Dan exam – 2022 – mid-July. More details to follow on exact date and location.
- AAKF Seminar – 2022 April 22-24. More details to follow.
- AAKF Nationals – 2022 June 21-25, Dallas, TX. More details to follow.
If you are considering a dan rank test in the near future, you should be preparing for your exam as soon as possible and getting feedback from your club’s sensei and sempais. It takes at least 6+ months of constant training both mentally and physically to prepare for a dan exam. For yondan and higher tests, it will take longer to prepare since you must write a thesis, present your paper, and do a kata with bunkai explanation.
Read the following documents for specific dan test requirements and eligibility:
Dan Rank Registration With AAKF and WTKF Organizations
Once you passed your dan examination, you must register your dan rank with both the AAKF and WTKF organizations. Cost is $150.00 ($50-AAKF/$100-WTKF). Make check payable to AAKF.
Mail your check and forms to: Midwest Karate Association St. Paul, 762 E. 7th St., St. Paul, MN 55106.
Upcoming Calendar of Events and Registration
Depending on COVID-19 Developments
- NCR upcoming events
- 2022 – Kata Seminar January 29, 2022. SKM dojo in Mpls. Click here for more details.
- AAKF/WTKF upcoming events
- AAKF Seminar – tentative Friday April 22 – Sunday 24, 2022 – more details to follow. Mask required.
- AAKF 2022 National Championship Dallas, TX. June 21-25, 2022. See AAKF Nationals website for more information.
- WTKF 2022 World Championships – tbd
- WTKF calendar – For additional seminars, competitions, and online training events
Traditional Karate North Central Region Subscription
- Subscription: To subscribe to the NCR Newsletter send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include your name and email address with a subject line: “Request: NCR newsletter subscription” .
- Past Traditional Karate North Central Region newsletters
Art Wong – Traditional Karate North Central Region Director, Godan