Traditional Karate North Central Region Newsletter
NCR Shiai Mpls Dojo – August 14, 2021
North Central Region (NCR) will be hosting a shiai on August 14, 2021 starting at noon. The event is open to all ages and ranks. We will be following the AAKF competition rules and procedures. Students can register for kata, kumite, team kata, and enbu. Click here for the detail and registration costs.
Apply karate to all things
Bob Young’s article considers the criteria for a successful dojo and how a successful dojo can be a model for a successful small business. A successful dojo helps us bridge the gap between the “outside” and the “inside”, between the world “out there” and the world “in here”. Click here to read more.
NCR Judging Seminar – July 9, 2021
NCR will be conducting a series of tournament judging seminars starting July 9, 2021 at 6:00pm at the St. Paul dojo. The seminar will be held every Friday in July. The seminar is open to qualified AAKF judges and black belts who want to take the AAKF judging qualifications test in the future. We will use this time review and practice the AAKF tournament rules and procedures. The seminar is the preamble for the August NCR shiai as well as the upcoming AAKF summer instructor program. Contact Art Wong for more information and to sign up for the judging seminar.
AAKF 2021 Summer Seminar July 10, 2021
The final AAKF Zoom seminar is scheduled for Saturday, July 10, 2021. The two 1-hour Zoom seminars will begin at 11:00am central time. The first hour Sensei Hyatt plans to teach a simple Bo kata named Tsue Sho (The Way of The Bo Form or Suekata Sho No Kon). You can use a Jo if you need to work in tight quarters, or a broom stick if you need to improvise. Click here for more details regarding the Zoom seminar topics, instructors, and dates/times. This is your opportunity to engage with the AAKF organization and fellow karatekas from around the US. Come learn and have fun!
AAKF Summer Instructor Program
The AAKF Technical Committee will be hosting a series of four instructor course sessions this summer via Zoom. The program is only open to instructors and assistant instructors in your club. The following is an email excerpt from Sensei Alex Tong, President of AAKF:
…The Technical Committee will host an online instructor course open to chief instructors and assistant instructors of member-clubs. The sessions are intended to be interactive in nature. We look forward to inputs from participating member instructors. Four 2-hour Zoom sessions will be held on August 7, Sept 11, October 9 and November 13 at no costs to participants.
A unified teaching framework on kata, kumite, and kihon will be formulated from these sessions, and made available to all participants. There will also be a review of Japanese terminologies that are used in international championships. These specified foundation concepts will stand as guidelines for good karate-do practice, also serving as reference information for candidates for Coach’s and/or Examiner certifications. As usual, teaching instructors are free to add their personal insights when holding class…
If you are an instructor at your club and interested in attending, please contact Art Wong immediately so we can get you registered.
2021 NCR Upcoming Calendar of Events
- NCR upcoming events
- November 6, 2021 11:30am-5:00pm – UofM Fall 2021 Traditional Karate-do Tournament is hosted by Traditional Karate-do Academy at University of MN club. Location: Van Cleve Community Center 901 SE 15th Ave Minneapolis, MN 55414. Click here for the latest flyer. Click here for more detail and online registration.
- Madison Japanese Karate Club’s annual fall tournament October 23, 2021. Click here for more details. Come and compete, judge, or watch and support your fellow karatekas.
- AAKF/WTKF upcoming events
- AAKF 2021 Instructor Program taught by AAKF Technical Committee – October 16 (resceduled) and November 13, 11:00am-1:00pm Central Time
- AAKF 2021 National Championship postponed to 2022. See AAKF Nationals website for more information.
- WTKF 2021 World Championships postponed to 2022
- WTKF calendar – For additional seminars, competitions, and online training events
Dan Examination Testing Dates
The following are tentative dan examination dates/locations. Check with your club’s sensei for eligibility as well as dates/times that may change at the last minute.
- NCR Dan exam – 2021 TBD
- AAKF Nationals – 2022 Dallas, TX
If you are considering a dan rank test in the near future, you should be preparing for your exam as soon as possible and getting feedback from your club’s sensei and sempais. It takes at least 6+ months of constant training both mentally and physically to prepare for a dan exam. For yondan and higher tests, it will take longer to prepare since you must write a thesis, present your paper, and do a kata with bunkai explanation.
Read the following documents for specific dan test requirements and eligibility:
Dan Rank Registration With AAKF and WTKF Organizations
Once you passed your dan examination, you must register your dan rank with both the AAKF and WTKF organizations. Cost is $150.00 ($50-AAKF/$100-WTKF). Make check payable to AAKF.
Mail your check and forms to: Midwest Karate Association St. Paul, 762 E. 7th St., St. Paul, MN 55106.
Traditional Karate North Central Region Subscription
- Subscription: To subscribe to the NCR Newsletter send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include your name and email address with a subject line: “Request: NCR newsletter subscription” .
- Past Traditional Karate North Central Region newsletters
Art Wong – Traditional Karate North Central Region Director, Godan