Traditional Karate North Central Region Newsletter
Kata Shiai – October 31, 2020 at SKM
The kata shiai will be held Saturday noon-2:00 pm October 31, 2020 at the SKM Mpls dojo. Use the shiai event to sharpen your kata skills for your next dan or kyu test examination, or come to have fun meeting and competing with your fellow karatekas in our region. Open to all ranks and ages including adult black belts. More information. Online registration.
AAKF National Fall Virtual Seminar
The American Amateur Karate Federation (AAKF) is continuing their Fall 2020 virtual Saturday seminar on October 3, 2020 at 9:00 am CST. The seminar will consist of four 1-hour sessions. The virtual training sessions are free and are broadcast via Zoom meeting. The seminars are open to all registered AAKF members.
To join the Zoom session, click here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87880651070?pwd=QmEvaG8vTTBuSDRDd3lMNGY1SWJzQT09. (Meeting ID: 878 8065 1070; Passcode: 807969)
The next AAKF Zoom seminar will be on
- Saturday October 3, 2020 from 9:00 am CST to 1:00 pm CST.
- Saturday November 7, 2020 from 9:00 am CST to 1:00 pm CST.
- Saturday December 5, 2020 from 9:00 am CST to 1:00 pm CST.
A complete list of instructors, dates and their scheduled time slot as well as the Zoom link information can be found here [Updated].
Shodan/Nidan Dan Examination
NCR will be conducting a shodan/nidan dan examination on Saturday December 5, 2020 at 2:00 pm at the SKM dojo. Contact your club’s sensei if you are planning on testing. Your sensei will then contact Art Wong to help with the planning. See Shodan-Nidan dan test requirement – NCR Testing guidelines handbook.
NCR Website Changes
The NCR website homepage now has direct links to all the NCR Facebook photos and videos. You should be able to view all the public viewable Facebook photos and videos without a Facebook account.
Dan Rank Registration With AAKF and WTKF Organizations
Once you passed your dan examination, you must register your dan rank with both the AAKF and WTKF organizations. Cost is $150.00 ($50-AAKF/$100-WTKF). Make check payable to AAKF.
Mail your check and forms to: MKA – St. Paul Dojo, E. 7th St., St. Paul, MN 55106.
Future Dan Examination Dates
The following are tentative dan examination dates/locations. Check with your club’s sensei for eligibility as well as dates/times that may change at the last minute.
- NCR Dan exam – December 5, 2020 at 2:00pm CST at SKM dojo
- AAKF Spring seminar – Tentative – Spring 2021
- AAKF Nationals – Tentative – June 2021 Dallas, TX
If you are considering a dan rank test in the near future, you should be preparing for your exam as soon as possible and getting feedback from your club’s sensei and sempais. It takes at least 6+ months of constant training both mentally and physically to prepare for a dan exam. For yondan and above dan tests, it will take longer to prepare since you must write a thesis, present your paper, and do a kata with bunkai explanation.
Students testing must read the following documents for specific dan test requirements and eligibility:
Shodan-Nidan– NCR Testing guidelines handbook.
AAKF Technical Qualification Guide – Rank Promotion – requirements for all dan ranks.
For our region, the dan test cost is $100 times the dan rank you are testing for, e.g., $100 x 2nd dan (nidan) test = $200.00.
2020 NCR Upcoming Calendar of Events
- NCR upcoming events
- AAKF/WTKF upcoming events
- AAKF National Fall 2020 virtual seminar – Free – October 3, 2020 – December 4, 2020 via Zoom meeting. See Updated schedule for more details.
- WTKF/Brazil – Advance kata Journey conducted by Sensei Rodrigo Souza via Zoom sessions October 12-14, 2020. Contact Trung Le at: email@example.com regarding registration. More details. Telegram app.
- WTKF 2021 World Championships – October 2021, Joao Pessoa, Paraiba, Brazil. More information.
- WTKF calendar – For additional events – seminar, competition,online training
Traditional Karate North Central Region Subscription
- Subscribe to the NCR newsletter, go to the bottom of the NCR archive website and click “Subscribe to our newsletter“.
- Past Traditional Karate North Central Region newsletters
Art Wong – Traditional Karate North Central Region Director, Godan