Traditional Karate North Central Region Newsletter
UofM Fall 2021 Traditional Karate-do Tournament
November 6, 2021
AAKF Summer Instructor Program
October 16, 2021 (rescheduled)
The next Zoom AAKF Technical Committee instructor course session is reschuled to October 16, 2021 at 11:00am Central Time. The program is only open to instructors and assistant instructors in your club. The session will cover: How to Correct “Students”.
The following is an email excerpt from Sensei Alex Tong, President of AAKF:
…The Technical Committee will host an online instructor course open to chief instructors and assistant instructors of member-clubs. The sessions are intended to be interactive in nature. We look forward to inputs from participating member instructors. …2-hour Zoom sessions will be held on October 16 and November 13 at no costs to participants.
A unified teaching framework on kata, kumite, and kihon will be formulated from these sessions, and made available to all participants. There will also be a review of Japanese terminologies that are used in international championships. These specified foundation concepts will stand as guidelines for good karate-do practice, also serving as reference information for candidates for Coach’s and/or Examiner certifications. As usual, teaching instructors are free to add their personal insights when holding class…
If you are an instructor at your club and interested in attending, please contact Art Wong immediately so we can get you registered.
The St. Paul dojo will be projecting the seminar on a large screen. All NCR instructors are welcome to attend.
World Traditional Karate-do Federation Highlights
Staying in touch with World Traditional Karate-do Federation (WTKF) organization is important for maintaining our link with traditional karate-do worldwide. The following are highlights/links to WTKF’s events held this fall:
On September 11, 2021 in Zielona Góra, – Polish Children’s Traditional Karate Championships. Click here
On September 12, 2021 in Zielona Góra, there was a training camp with sensei Włodzimierz Kwieciński 9th Dan, President of the World Traditional Karate-Do Federation. Click here.
September 17 to 19, 2021 – for the second time this year – WTKF hosted sensei Justo Gomez 7th Dan at a traditional karate training camp in Poland. More than 200 people took part in the trainings at the Dojo Stara Wieś and in Lublin. Click here
October 2 in Wrocław, the 14th Master’s Cup will be held in memory of Hidetaka Nishiyama. Click here.
The above links were translated from Polish to English using Google translate. If for some reason it is still in Polish, use Google translate and insert the URL, click here on how to use Google translate.
2021 NCR Upcoming Calendar of Events
- NCR upcoming events
- November 6, 2021 11:30am-5:00pm – UofM Fall 2021 Traditional Karate-do Tournament is hosted by Traditional Karate-do Academy at University of MN club. Location: Van Cleve Community Center 901 SE 15th Ave Minneapolis, MN 55414. Click here for the latest flyer. Click here for more detail and online registration.
- Madison Japanese Karate Club’s annual fall tournament October 23, 2021. Click here for more details. Come and compete, judge, or watch and support your fellow karatekas.
- AAKF/WTKF upcoming events
- AAKF 2021 Instructor Program taught by AAKF Technical Committee – October 16 (resceduled) and November 13, 11:00am-1:00pm Central Time
- AAKF 2021 National Championship postponed to 2022. See AAKF Nationals website for more information.
- WTKF 2021 World Championships postponed to 2022
- WTKF calendar – For additional seminars, competitions, and online training events
Dan Examination Testing Dates
The following are tentative dan examination dates/locations. Check with your club’s sensei for eligibility as well as dates/times that may change at the last minute.
- NCR Dan exam – 2021 TBD
- AAKF Nationals – 2022 Dallas, TX
If you are considering a dan rank test in the near future, you should be preparing for your exam as soon as possible and getting feedback from your club’s sensei and sempais. It takes at least 6+ months of constant training both mentally and physically to prepare for a dan exam. For yondan and higher tests, it will take longer to prepare since you must write a thesis, present your paper, and do a kata with bunkai explanation.
Read the following documents for specific dan test requirements and eligibility:
Dan Rank Registration With AAKF and WTKF Organizations
Once you passed your dan examination, you must register your dan rank with both the AAKF and WTKF organizations. Cost is $150.00 ($50-AAKF/$100-WTKF). Make check payable to AAKF.
Mail your check and forms to: Midwest Karate Association St. Paul, 762 E. 7th St., St. Paul, MN 55106.
Traditional Karate North Central Region Subscription
- Subscription: To subscribe to the NCR Newsletter send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include your name and email address with a subject line: “Request: NCR newsletter subscription” .
- Past Traditional Karate North Central Region newsletters
Art Wong – Traditional Karate North Central Region Director, Godan