Traditional Karate North Central Region Newsletter
CardioPulmonary Resuscitation (CPR). Are you ready to give aid?
Karate is a fun and exciting activity. But, as in all sports, there are risks that may require emergency aid. If a person is not breathing and there is no pulse detected, administering Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) may be required. It is important to know the CPR procedure. There are many CPR classes an instructors and adult students can attend to get familiar with the CPR procedure. Besides attending a CPR class, access to the CPR protocol information is available online. Click on the following American Red Cross links:
If the person is in cardiac arrest and you have access to an Automated External Defibrillator (AED), use the AED as part of your CPR protocol. Click on the following American Red Cross links:
Consider laminating the 1-page CPR and AED documents back-to-back as a quick reference for the dojo and at home. Remember, always call 911 immediately to help save a life.
Kata Seminar January 28, 2023 Noon-2:00pm – SKM Dojo
Let’s get 2023 jumping with a kata seminar to help strengthen your foundation in karate. We will be conducting a kata seminar on January 28, 2023 from noon to 2:00 pm. at Shotokan Karate of MN in Mpls. The kata seminar will broaden your understanding and refine your knowledge of karate fundamentals while strengthening your skills in the art. The poster below provides the kata seminar details. Get in-depth instructions from different Senseis while having fun with your fellow karatekas.
Reminder: AAKF Annual Membership Renewal – March 1 Deadline
Individual AAKF membership expire March 1. If you renew your current membership before March 1, the cost is only $25. After March 1, your AAKF individual membership renewal is $35. For club renewal, the cost is $170.00. Check this out -> Benefits of an AAKF membership.
Click here to access the AAKF registration form. Write a check following the instructions from your club’s sensei. Deliver your payment and registration form to your club’s sensei – he/she will then mail the documents to the AAKF organization. For club registration form, click here.
2023 AAKF National Championships – June 21-24 Washington, DC
The 2023 AAKF National Championships will be held in Washington, DC on June 21-24, 2023. Whether you are a black belt or kyu level, you will be able to compete in either the adult or youth division. You must be an AAKF member to compete. Senior black belts wanting to judge at the National Championships must be an AAKF qualified judge. AAKF registration will be due May 30, 2023 with more details to follow. NCR will hold a regional eliminations for athletes to qualify and represent our region at the 2023 AAKF National Championships. More details to follow on date and time of the regional eliminations.
Upcoming Calendar of Events and Registration
- NCR upcoming events
- 2023 October 14 noon – NCR Fall Shiai – kata and kumite. SKM dojo. Click here for more details.
- 2023 November 4 – UofW Madision Karate tournament 11am-5pm
- 2023 November 18 – Traditional Karate-Do Academy at UMN shia – Kata and Kumite – More details to follow.
- 2024 January 27 – Kumite Seminar noon-2pm. SKM dojo
- 2024 March 23 – (tentative). NCR Shiai. Noon. SKM dojo. More details to follow
- 2024 May 18 noon-2pm Preparation for 2024 AAKF National Champioships – NCR judging seminar and competitor feedback. St. Paul dojo. More details to follow
- AAKF upcoming events:
- WTKF Events
- WTKF calendar – Click here for more upcoming WTKF events.
Dan Examination Schedule
- NCR and AAKF dan exam schedule
- Dan examination testing requirements shodan-sandan – click here
- Dan rank registration required when you pass your dan exam – click here
Traditional Karate North Central Region Subscription
Art Wong – Traditional Karate North Central Region Director, Godan