Traditional Karate North Central Region Newsletter
COVID-19 – Dojos Can Expand Class Size – April 1, 2021
Minnesota (MN) has been doing a great job in getting more people vaccinated and controlling the spread of COVID-19 virus. Effective March 15, 2021, the state of MN will relax the restrictions for in-person gym and dojo attendance. This is great news for the Traditional Karate North Central Region clubs and students! Contact your club’s Sensei regarding your dojo’s expanded in-person attendance dates and plans.
Here is an excerpt from the MN Stay Safe Plan:
Beginning March 15, 2021 at 12 p.m.
* Gym capacity is capped at 50%, maximum capacity remains at 250.
* Machines and people should maintain 6 feet of distance.
* Indoor classes are limited to 25 people, assuming distancing can be observed.
* Outdoor classes are limited to 50 people.
* Masks required
Beginning April 1, gyms, personal fitness and yoga studios, or martial arts spaces with sufficient normal occupant capacity may exceed 250 people per applicable percentage limits and guidance.
For more information on the MN Stay Safe plan click here
AAKF 2021 Spring Seminar April 17 – July10 (update)
The AAKF Technical Committee has organized a series of four 2-hour Zoom seminars from 11:00am-1:00pm CDST on Saturday starting April 17 to July 10, 2021. Click here for more details regarding the Zoom seminar topics, instructor, and dates/times. This is your opportunity to re-engage with the AAKF organization and fellow karatekas. Come learn and have fun!
AAKF Dan Test – May 15, 2021
As part of the AAKF 2021 spring seminar, the AAKF Technical Committee will be conducting Zoom dan test on May 15, 2021 at 1:00pm CDST. If you are interested in taking a dan exam, contact Art Wong NCR Director at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 30, 2021 to start your dan test registration process. Details on the dan fee, form, dojo location where you will perform your dan test, and date/timeline will be provided by Art Wong.
2021 NCR Upcoming Calendar of Events
- NCR upcoming events
- November 6, 2021 11:30am-5:00pm – UofM Fall 2021 Traditional Karate-do Tournament is hosted by Traditional Karate-do Academy at University of MN club. Location: Van Cleve Community Center 901 SE 15th Ave Minneapolis, MN 55414. Click here for the latest flyer. Click here for more detail and online registration.
- Madison Japanese Karate Club’s annual fall tournament October 23, 2021. Click here for more details. Come and compete, judge, or watch and support your fellow karatekas.
- AAKF/WTKF upcoming events
- AAKF 2021 Instructor Program taught by AAKF Technical Committee – October 16 (resceduled) and November 13, 11:00am-1:00pm Central Time
- AAKF 2021 National Championship postponed to 2022. See AAKF Nationals website for more information.
- WTKF 2021 World Championships postponed to 2022
- WTKF calendar – For additional seminars, competitions, and online training events
Dan Examination Testing Dates
The following are tentative dan examination dates/locations. Check with your club’s sensei for eligibility as well as dates/times that may change at the last minute.
- NCR Dan exam – 2021 TBD
- AAKF Nationals – 2022 Dallas, TX
If you are considering a dan rank test in the near future, you should be preparing for your exam as soon as possible and getting feedback from your club’s sensei and sempais. It takes at least 6+ months of constant training both mentally and physically to prepare for a dan exam. For yondan and higher tests, it will take longer to prepare since you must write a thesis, present your paper, and do a kata with bunkai explanation.
Read the following documents for specific dan test requirements and eligibility:
Dan Rank Registration With AAKF and WTKF Organizations
Once you passed your dan examination, you must register your dan rank with both the AAKF and WTKF organizations. Cost is $150.00 ($50-AAKF/$100-WTKF). Make check payable to AAKF.
Mail your check and forms to: Midwest Karate Association St. Paul, 762 E. 7th St., St. Paul, MN 55106.
Traditional Karate North Central Region Subscription
- Subscription: To subscribe to the NCR Newsletter send an email to: email@example.com
- Include your name and email address with a subject line: “Request: NCR newsletter subscription” .
- Past Traditional Karate North Central Region newsletters
Art Wong – Traditional Karate North Central Region Director, Godan