Traditional Karate North Central Region Newsletter
AAKF and WTKF Championships Postponed
The 2021 AAKF National Championships and the 2021 WTKF World Championships have been postponed to 2022 due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. As more details become available, we will let you know. Also, Sensei Trung Le’s Traditional Karate-Do Academy at UMN club has postponed their spring shia to November. As more details become available, we will update the 2021 NCR Upcoming Calendar of Events, see below.
AAKF Annual Membership Renewal – Deadline Extended to March 31, 2021
Your individual AAKF membership expires March 31. If you renew your current membership before March 31, the renewal cost is only $25. After March 31, a new AAKF membership is $35. Click here to read about AAKF and WTKF membership benefits.
See your club’s sensei for registration instructions, preparing the check and returning the completed form. click here for the AAKF individual registration form. Your club’s sensei will register your renewal on the AAKF portal and will mail in your fee and form to the AAKF organization.
2021 NCR Upcoming Calendar of Events
- NCR upcoming events
- UofM Spring Shiai hosted by Traditional Karate-do Academy at University of MN club is postponed to November 2021. More details to follow.
- AAKF/WTKF upcoming events
- AAKF virtual seminar – Tentative March/April 2021
- AAKF 2021 National Championship postponed to 2022. See AAKF Nationals website for more information.
- WTKF 2021 World Championships postponed to 2022
- WTKF calendar – For additional seminars, competitions, and online training events
Dan Examination Testing Dates
The following are tentative dan examination dates/locations. Check with your club’s sensei for eligibility as well as dates/times that may change at the last minute.
- NCR Dan exam – 2021-TBD
- AAKF Nationals – 2022
If you are considering a dan rank test in the near future, you should be preparing for your exam as soon as possible and getting feedback from your club’s sensei and sempais. It takes at least 6+ months of constant training both mentally and physically to prepare for a dan exam. For yondan and higher tests, it will take longer to prepare since you must write a thesis, present your paper, and do a kata with bunkai explanation.
Read the following documents for specific dan test requirements and eligibility:
Dan Rank Registration With AAKF and WTKF Organizations
Once you passed your dan examination, you must register your dan rank with both the AAKF and WTKF organizations. Cost is $150.00 ($50-AAKF/$100-WTKF). Make check payable to AAKF.
Mail your check and forms to: MKA – St. Paul Dojo, 762 E. 7th St., St. Paul, MN 55106.
Traditional Karate North Central Region Subscription
- Subscription: To subscribe to the NCR newsletter send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include your name and email address with a subject line: “Request: NCR newsletter subscription” .
- Past Traditional Karate North Central Region newsletters
Art Wong – Traditional Karate North Central Region Director, Godan