Traditional Karate North Central Region Newsletter
Kumite Shiai April 24, 2021 – Results
Traditional Karate North Central Region held a mini-kumite shiai on April 24, 2021 at the Shotokan Karate MN dojo. The participants had a good time testing their reaction speed against a one-step attack while still maintaining a six foot distance between each other. The students demonstrated good agility against an opponent. The judges had the opportunity to recalibrate their judging skills and provide great feedback to the students.
Apply Karate To All Things
AAKF 2021 Spring Seminar May 15, 2021
A second AAKF Zoom seminar (kata) is also scheduled for Saturday, May 15, 2021. The two 1-hour Zoom seminar will focus on kata and it begins at 11:00am Central. Click here for more details regarding the Zoom seminar topics, instructors, and dates/times. This is your opportunity to engage with the AAKF organization and fellow karatekas from around the US. Come learn and have fun! FYI-The third AAKF Zoom seminar (kumite) is scheduled for June 12 , 2021.
AAKF Dan Test – May 15, 2021
Reminder – As part of the AAKF 2021 spring seminar, the AAKF Technical Committee will be conducting a Zoom dan test on May 15, 2021 at 1:00pm CDST. Registration for the dan test expired on April 30, 2021. Contact Art Wong at email@example.com if you have any questions.
2021 NCR Upcoming Calendar of Events
- NCR upcoming events
- November 6, 2021 – UofM Fall Shiai hosted by Traditional Karate-do Academy at University of MN club. More details to follow.
- AAKF/WTKF upcoming events
- AAKF 2021 Zoom seminar series – May 15 – July 10. Click here for more details regarding the Zoom seminar topics, instructor, and dates/times.
- AAKF 2021 National Championship postponed to 2022. See AAKF Nationals website for more information.
- WTKF 2021 World Championships postponed to 2022
- WTKF calendar – For additional seminars, competitions, and online training events
Dan Examination Testing Dates
The following are tentative dan examination dates/locations. Check with your club’s sensei for eligibility as well as dates/times that may change at the last minute.
- AAKF 2021 Spring Zoom seminar – Dan test May 15, 2021 1:00pm CDST. Contact Art Wong (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than April 30, 2021 to obtain the details on fees, form, dojo location of for the Zoom dan test, and date/time.
- NCR Dan exam – 2021 July 23 Friday 6:00pm St. Paul dojo. See Art Wong to pre-register.
- AAKF Nationals – 2022 Dallas, TX
If you are considering a dan rank test in the near future, you should be preparing for your exam as soon as possible and getting feedback from your club’s sensei and sempais. It takes at least 6+ months of constant training both mentally and physically to prepare for a dan exam. For yondan and higher tests, it will take longer to prepare since you must write a thesis, present your paper, and do a kata with bunkai explanation.
Read the following documents for specific dan test requirements and eligibility:
Dan Rank Registration With AAKF and WTKF Organizations
Once you passed your dan examination, you must register your dan rank with both the AAKF and WTKF organizations. Cost is $150.00 ($50-AAKF/$100-WTKF). Make check payable to AAKF.
Mail your check and forms to: Midwest Karate Association St. Paul, 762 E. 7th St., St. Paul, MN 55106.
Traditional Karate North Central Region Subscription
- Subscription: To subscribe to the NCR newsletter send an email to: email@example.com
- Include your name and email address with a subject line: “Request: NCR newsletter subscription” .
- Past Traditional Karate North Central Region newsletters
Art Wong – Traditional Karate North Central Region Director, Godan